Simple and flavorful, this Air Fryer Butternut Squash recipe is perfect for a weeknight! All you need are a handful of ingredients and 25 minutes to make this healthy side dish.
Why I love this recipe:
This side dish reigns supreme on weeknights in my house for as long as butternut squash is in season.
A great side dish that is easy, delicious and versatile. It’s also ready in less than 30 minutes!
This butternut squash in the air fryer is lightly smoky, thanks to smoked paprika. And we finish with some honey to bring out the sweetness of the butternut squash.
Sometimes I also sprinkle some hot sauce on top for a kick… and sometimes, I top it with feta or goat cheese, too. These salty tart flavors bring out even more of the sweetness and make it so sooo good!!
I eat it with everything and have included some suggestions at the end of the post… I even eat leftovers over eggs for a Fall perfect brunch/breakfast.
Hope you love this easy recipe as much as I do!
Other Fall-tastic recipes you need to try! Instant Pot Pumpkin Risotto Recipe, Roasted Acorn Squash Salad, Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe, Arroz Doce Cremoso – Brazilian Rice Pudding with Condensed Milk, Cachaça Cranberry Sauce and more!
Brazilian Kitchen Abroad is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Butternut squash—you can get a whole one and chop it down, or you can purchase pre-chopped butternut squash from the grocery store
- Fresh thyme
- Smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Ground nutmeg
- Extra virgin olive oil
You’ll also need
- Air fryer: this is the one I have. It’s not a conventional air fryer and that’s what I love about it. I love that it’s a space saver on the counter, and it’s pretty big, too!! That said, you can use any air fryer to make this recipe.
How to make Air Fryer Butternut Squash
To prep a butternut squash, here’s what you need to do:
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin from the squash.
- Slice it down the middle, length-wise with a sharp knife.
- Scoop out the seeds using a spoon.
- Cut the squash into rounds. And then from there, slice it into 1″ cubes.
If you need help with this, check out how to peel and cut butternut squash. You may also purchase pre-chopped butternut squash from the store.
In a large bowl, pour in the butternut squash cubes.
Season with the thyme, salt, smoked paprika, nutmeg and olive oil.
Why do we use olive oil? The olive oil adds flavor, helps the seasonings bind to the butternut squash and helps it crisp as well.
Give it a nice stir to combine the squash with the olive oil and spices.
Then transfer the seasoned butternut squash to the air fryer basket.
Please note: Depending on the model of air fryer you have, you may need to cook in batches. If your basket is too full, the butternut squash won’t cook properly.
Air fry the butternut squash for 25 minutes.
Halfway through the cooking process, give the basket a good shake.
We give it a shake so that we can toss the squash and give it all a chance to get nice and crispy.
Once your cook is done, remove the air fried butternut squash from the basket and place it in a bowl or plate.
Sprinkle some honey on top while it’s piping hot, straight out of the air fryer. Then sprinkle on some sea salt if needed. You can also sprinkle in some feta, or goat cheese—this sweet tart combination is fantastic!
What to serve with this butternut squash:
My favorite weeknight combination is adding the following to a bowl with this squash:
You can also toss it in salads, or serve it as an easy holiday side dish!
You can also serve it with scrambled or fried eggs as breakfast. Seriously, the possibilities are endless and delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This butternut squash is phenomenal in the air fryer and absolutely delicious.
If you’re roasting the squash in the air fryer, yes. You need to peel it before chopping to make this recipe.
It can be cooked without peeling, but you cannot make this particular recipe without peeling and chopping the squash.
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
FOR MORE BRAZILIAN FOOD INSPO, BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- 2 pounds of butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced about 6 cups
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1.5 teaspoons of kosher salt or to taste
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Honey for drizzling about 1-2 tablespoons
- Set your air fryer to 400F/205C
- Add the diced butternut to a large bowl. Add the thyme, the salt, the smoked paprika, the nutmeg and the olive oil and stir to combine.
- Add the seasoned butternut squash to the air fryer basket. Air fry for 25 minutes, shaking it halfway.*
- Remove the air fried butternut squash from the air fryer basket and place it in a bowl or plate. Drizzle with honey while it's hot. Sprinkle in serving salt if you'd like and serve.