When the weather cools there’s literally no better treat than a warm and comforting cup of hot chocolate. Am I right?!!!
This luscious Brazilian hot chocolate recipe is just oh-so-perfect. It’s sweet, creamy and chocolaty… Basically a drinkable brigadeiro!!! Splash it with some cachaça, Burbon, Malibu or Grand Marnier and this kiddie favorite turns into the ultimate adult cold weather treat.
We just had the first snow of the year this past weekend up in the Big Bear Mountains, and the weather was screaming HOT CHOCOLATE!! So here we are.
I wanted to make something simple, that tasted just as comforting as the chocolate quente my mom used to make us when we were kids. Which means sweet, creamy and with a hint of cinnamon.
The touch of cinnamon here gives this recipe aroma and warmth. But the texture of this drink is really what brings it all together. It’s so thick it coats the back of a spoon! Almost like a dessert. Like a drinkable brigadeiro!
To get this thick I use real chocolate bars and melt them in a hot milk, condensed milk and cream mixture. I love it that way, but if you don’t like it this rich, just add a little more milk until you’re happy with the consistency.
Top your Brazilian Hot Chocolate with freshly whipped cream, shaved chocolate and a pinch of cinnamon! And if you’re old enough, add a shot of your favorite liquor. I like mine with a splash of cachaça for a real Brazilian kick. And sometimes I go for some Malibu to give it a hint of coconut or Grand Marnier for a fresh orangy flavor. It’s a perfect treat to have by the fire, next to the ones you love.
Brazilian Hot Chocolate
- 2 x 4oz bars of 60-70% bittersweet baking bars/chocolate bars chopped
- 1-2 cups of full fat milk add more if you don't want your hot chocolate to be as thick and strong
- 1/2 cup sweet condensed milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- Freshly whipped cream
- shaved chocolate
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Set a couple of spoonfulls of whipped cream aside to garnish your finished drink and add the rest of it to a sauce pan.
- Add the milk, the condensed milk and the cinnamon sticks to the sauce pan, and stir to combine.
- Over medium heat, bring this mixture to a simmer.
- When the milky mixture is simmering, add the chopped chocolate.
- Whisk gently until the chocolate has melted completely.
- Remove and discard the cinnamon sticks.
- Pour the hot chocolate to cups.
- Add some of your favorite liquor (optional).
- Top it with fresh whipped cream, shaved chocolate and a pinch of cinnamon.