This luscious Brazilian hot chocolate recipe is everything you want in a hot chocolate. It’s sweet, creamy, chocolaty, and the texture is so airy, you’ll feel like you’re drinking a chocolate mousse! It’s waaaay better than store bought hot chocolate packets. Spike it with your favorite booze and this kiddie favorite turns into the ultimate grown up cold weather treat. -recipe makes 3 cups, easily doubled.
Why I love this homemade Hot Chocolate
Who doesn’t love a cute mug filled to the brim with a hot comforting beverage when the weather starts to cool off? I know I do! And while I’m a huge coffee drinker, there’s plenty of room in my heart for a cozy mug of sweet hot chocolate.
This rich hot chocolate recipe reminds me of the chocolate quente my mom used to make us when we were kids – sweet, creamy and with a hint of cinnamon. But the texture of this drink is really what makes my heart beat faster. It’s so thick it can coat the back of a spoon! Almost like a dessert. Like a drinkable brigadeiro! This, while snacking on some freshly baked pão de queijo – Brazilian cheese bread is seriously a dream!!
I always top my Brazilian hot chocolate with fresh whipped cream, shaved chocolate and an extra pinch of cinnamon. And sometimes, I might even add a shot of booze. A splash of cachaça will give it a real Brazilian kick, Malibu gives it a hint of coconut, Grand Marnier adds a fresh orange flavor, and did you just yell BAILEYS off the top of your lungs? Because, yes, I hear ya! This the perfect decadent treat to have by the fire, or just under the blankets watching TV next to the ones you love.
Enjoy & Bom Apetite!
Brazilian Hot Chocolate Ingredients
This delicious and sweet hot chocolate, is ready in about 10 minutes from start to finish, and only requires a handful of easy to find ingredients:
- 60-70% bittersweet chocolate bars – This is where our hot chocolate will get it’s richness from. We don’t need the chocolate to be any sweeter than this, sweetening is the condensed milk‘s job. Plus, the sweeter the chocolate, the less rich and chocolaty the hot chocolate will be.
- Milk – I like using full fat milk, but reduced fat is ok too. Just note that less fat, means a little less creamy.
- Sweet condensed milk – this is our sweetener.
- Heavy whipping cream – this is where the texture comes from.
- Cinnamon sticks – if you dont have, or dont want to buy cinnamon sticks, you can use ground cinnamon as well. Just add it to your taste!
Tips on How to make hot chocolate rich and creamy
Here are my best tips for making super rich and creamy hot chocolate:
- Use chocolate bars – nothing will make a hot chocolate as rich as good quality melted chocolate bar.
- Whip the cream – slightly whipping the cream, just enough until soft peaks form, fills the cream with air bubbles that will make your hot chocolate creamy and airy.
- sweeten with condensed milk – condensed milk will not only sweeten your hot chocolate, but it’ll also add more density and creaminess to it than sugar.
Other Chocolate recipes you’ll love
- Brigadeiro – Brazilian Fudge Balls
- Nega Maluca – Brazilian Chocolate Cake
- Pave – Brazilian No-Bake Chocolate Tart
- Brazilian Carrot Cake with Chocolate Sauce
Other beverage recipes
FOR MORE BRAZILIAN FOOD INSPO, BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON
Brazilian Hot Chocolate
- 2 4oz bars of 60-70% bittersweet baking bars/chocolate bars chopped
- 2 cups of full fat milk add more if you don’t want your hot chocolate to be as thick and strong
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sweet condensed milk or more to your taste if you like things sweeter
- Freshly whipped cream
- shaved chocolate
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Set a couple of spoonfulls of whipped cream aside to garnish your finished drink and add the rest of it to a sauce pan.
- Add the milk, and the cinnamon sticks to the sauce pan, and stir to combine.
- Over medium heat, bring this mixture to a simmer.
- When the milky mixture is simmering, add the chopped chocolate.
- Whisk gently until the chocolate has melted completely.
- Remove and discard the cinnamon sticks.
- Add 1/4 cup of condensed milk, whisk to combine and taste for sweeteness. If not sweet enough to your taste add the remaining condensed milk, incrementally, while taste testing along the way.
- After you reach your desired sweetness, pour the hot chocolate into cups.
- Add some of your favorite liquor (optional).
- Top it with fresh whipped cream, shaved chocolate and a pinch of cinnamon.