The weather has been perfectly chilly and has sweet, warm Canjica written all over it!
Canjica, a Brazilian white corn and coconut porridge, is very popular in Brazil. It is a little like rice pudding, but it’s made with white corn and tends to have a little more liquid.
This sweet tradition is a must-have dish throughout the winter, particularly during Festas Juninas (translates to something like June parties) – check out this post to learn little more about Festa Junina, and see another popular dish.
Canjica is pretty simple to make and is a great breakfast, snack or dessert.
It is sooooo good! I mean, sweet, warm, coconut-y milk, with subtle notes of cloves, cinnamon and vanilla… seriously, what’s not to love?
Make it! And let me know what you think! Take a picture of your Canjica and share with me on Instagram by tagging me or using #cookingwithaline
Canjica Recipe Step by Step
But here is another brand you can use, also sold at Amazon.
Then, just wash the corn well until the water runs clear.
Don’t these look like teeth? haha
Add the washed corn to an instant pot, or pressure cooker, cover with the water, and let it cook for about 40 mins.
While the corn is cooking, we can hydrate the coconut… I used this one, but any dehydrated shredded coconut will work.
and you can also add the vanilla bean to this mixture, while you wait for the corn to cook.
This is what the corn looks like cooked – puffed, firm, and with some water left. You can leave that water there…
Do a little taste test, just to make sure… when you bite it, the consistency should be firm like cooked wheat berries, or farro.
Then you add the milky coconut mixture to the pot, add the cinnamon stick, the cloves, and let it cook open (on sauté mode) for 10-15 mins.
And there you go!
The corn will continue to absorb liquid as it cools and will thicken significantly. You can thin it back down by adding a little bit more milk when its completely cool, or when you reheat to eat the leftovers then next few days.
I like my canjica on the creamy side, so sometimes I just leave as is – it’s ups to you!
Canjica | Brazilian White Corn and Coconut Porridge
This sweet dish will sure steal your heart! It’s sweet, milky, homey, and a perfect way to stay warm on a chilly day.
It is great as is, or with some cinnamon, or toasted coconut sprinkled to top.
Give it a try and let me know what you think! Take a picture of your Canjica, Brazilian white corn and coconut porridge and share with me on Instagram by tagging me or using #cookingwithaline
Brazilian White Corn and Coconut Porridge
- 5 cups of water
- 500 g package of white hominy corn
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 14 oz can of sweet condensed milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 whole vanilla bean or 1-2 tsp of vanilla bean extract
- 1 cup of dehydrated unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 13 oz can of coconut milk
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Wash the corn using a strainer until the water runs clear, then let it drain for a few mins
- Add the washed corn to an instant pot, or pressure cooker, and add all 5 cups of water. Cover and cook on manual for 40 mins.
- While the corn is cooking, re-hydrate the coconut – In a medium bowl add the coconut, the milk, the condensed milk, the sugar, the coconut milk and the spices.
- When the corn is cooked, safely release the pressure and open the pan.
- Add the milk-coconut mixture to the cooked corn and cook on sauté mode (open) for 10-15 mins.
- Serve with some cinnamon or with toasted coconut (optional)