Last week I was forced into a fitness challenge ahah, but right when I was thinking about pulling my eyes out, I realized that this would be a food fun opportunity I should not miss, so, woohoo!! And since I ate cake for breakfast, which wasn’t at all on the fitness menu, (as you would have guessed) I had to catch up for dinner *enter this light, super nutritious, gorgeous looking salad* Anyway, this wasn’t a planned post, but this salad turned out so great, I figured I would share 🙂 I’m not sitting here writing this post to postpone the workouts… I swear… I was thinking about you, guys! *wink, wink*
Have you ever had dandelion greens? Do you like them?
Dandelion greens were my inspiration for this dish, and since they are very bitter, I made sweeter, nuttier, and a bit acid choices to properly balance that taste. I love it and I hope you do too!!
It’s pretty, isn’t it? Make yours, take a picture and share with me #cookingwithaline
Dandelion & Grains Salad with Sweet Potato Purée
- About 10 dandelion leaves
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp of paprika
- 1 cup of 365 organic Barley Peas and Lentils* cooked
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp of champagne vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp of Pepitas for garnish
- 1 tsp of Flax seeds for garnish
- Place the potatoes into a medium pot, cover with water and cook until the potatoes are soft
- once the potatoes are cooked, remove all the water from the pan
- add the coconut oil to the potatoes and season with salt, pepper and the paprika
- using an emersion blender, blend the potatoes, until it turns into a smooth purée (taste to make sure it is seasoned properly and to your taste)
- Add the vinegar and the olive oil to a medium bowl and whisk to emulsify, then add the cup of the cooked 365 organic Barley, Peas and Lentils to the bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the dandelion leaves on 2 plates with the purée and the grains and top with some flax seed, pepitas and olive oil.