Who else literally surrenders to warm cozy bowls of soup the second temperatures start to go down? I know I do! This 5 ingredient soup hits the spot and brings you all the warmth and comfort you need on a cool night. Check it out!
Portuguese Green Soup, or as we call it in Portuguese, Caldo Verde, is a smoky and hearty soup traditionally made with smoked sausage, potatoes and collard greens.
Caldo Verde, although extremely popular in Brazil is actually a traditional Portuguese soup, from northern Portugal. In Brazil, as well as in Portugal, this dish is a must-have item on any menu during our Festas de São João (which I talk a little more about here – where I also share with you another extremely delish soup recipe!)
This soup has a very special place in my heart!
I grew up eating it, always with tons of Portuguese olive oil on top and fresh crusty bread – it’s like comfort food to me.
I hope you enjoy it too – try it and let me know!
Caldo Verde Recipe Step by Step | Portuguese Green Soup
Heat up some olive oil in a large stock pot, and saute the onions…
until they are soft
then, add the sausage…
Let everything brown (but not too much) until it looks like this… then add the garlic and give it a little stir.
Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside (Label them NOT. FOR. SNACKING!!)
Add the potatoes to the pan, and cover with water and let it cook until the potatoes are soft.
When the potatoes are soft, remove some of the potatoes and set them aside with the not-for-snacking sausage.
Using an immersion blender, blend the remaining potatoes in the pot (including the water they were cooked in) – alternatively, you can skip this part altogether and just smash some of the potatoes in the pot. The goal is to have some potato chunks, and some creaminess, but not too much… kinda like this:
Add the sausage, and the potatoes back to the pot , then add the collard greens.
And we’re done!
Top it with some good olive oil, and eat it with crusty bread.
[accordion title=”BE SURE TO”][/accordion]SUBSCRIBE to my page and newsletter to receive the latest tasty recipes, helpful kitchen tips and a little taste of my Brazil directly to your mailbox!
FOLLOW me on social media and
SHARE my page with all your friends!
Caldo Verde – Portuguese Green Soup
- 3-4 lbs of yellow potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 13 oz Smoked sausage sliced
- ½ large onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 bunches of collard greens stemmed and cut thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil plus more to serve
- On stovetop, heat up a large stock pot over medium to high heat and add the 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the onions, and cook until transparent, about 2 mins.
- Add the sausage, and cook until lightly browned, 5 mins.
- Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 2 mins.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the potatoes to the stock pot, season with salt and cover with water. Let it cook until potatoes are soft.
- When the potatoes are fully cooked, remove half of the potatoes from the pot and set them aside with the sausage.
- Using an immersion blender blend the other half of the potatoes in the stock pot with the water they cooked in.
- Return the sausage and and the potatoes to the stock pot, season with salt and pepper, stir.
- Add the collard greens, stir.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with bread.