These grilled chimichurri chicken skewers are guaranteed crowd pleasers! They’re colorful, super easy to make and are packed with delicious flavors. We’re talking grilled peppers, onions, tender juicy chicken, all covered in herby chimichurri. They’re an awesome lunch or dinner your familia and amigos will be happy to have!
Why I love this recipe
Because its food on a stick! When it comes to summer meals, skewers are one of my favorite things to make. They’re easy to serve and you can layer in veggies to make them pretty much full meal.
I also love this recipe because it’s full of chimichurri sauce – one of my favorite sauces for chicken skewers! My chimichurri sauce recipe has been one of my most popular recipes this summer. Everyone is loving to see all the uses they can get our of it, like this delicious salad, and these grilled wings! So yummy!
This recipe is ready in no time, and you can even make the chimichurri the night before. You just throw all the ingredients in a blender and buzz buzz buzz, all done! Check out this post to learn how to make this easy chimichurri marinade.
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
How to make chicken skewers
- Cut the chicken and the veggies into similar size chunks
The first tip to make great chicken skewers is to cut the chicken into chunks of the same size. This will ensure all the chicken pieces cook evenly and at the same time, and you don’t end up with uncooked pieces on one end of the skewer and overcooked pieces on the other end.
After your chicken pieces are all cubed up, just add the marinade.
- Let it rest
The resting time will depend on the recipe. Some recipes call for marinading several hours, while others (like this one), call for a quick marinade.
If your marinade doesn’t already have salt, make sure to season before taking your skewers to the grill. Coarse salt is my favorite for seasoning immediately before grilling!
- Assemble the skewers
Use metal skewers or make sure to soak wooden skewers in water for about an hour before using them to avoid burning. To assemble the skewers, just layer all the pieces one by one – like in the photo below.
Make sure your grill is clean and well oiled to avoid the skewers from sticking to the grill. Grill the skewers over direct heat for about 10-15 mins, turning them halfway through to make sure they cook evenly on both sides.
When the skewers are fresh off the grill, I finish them with a nice drizzle of chimichurri for serving. This has got to be one of my new favorite recipes with chimichurri! It’s to die for!!!
What to serve with these grilled chimichurri chicken skewers:
These cocktails and side dishes are some of my favorites to enjoy alongside these yummy skewers!
More chicken recipes:
Grilled Chimichurri Chicken Skewers
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup chimichurri sauce plus more for serving
- 2 green bell peppers cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 yellow bell peppers cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Metal or wooden skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
- Add the cubes of chicken to a bowl, then add the chimichurri sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add the coarse salt, and stir to combine.
- Assemble the skewers by inserting the chicken, peppers, and onion onto soaked skewers, then grill over direct heat for approximately 10-15 minutes, turning halfway through to grill evenly on both sides. Make sure the chicken is cooked through and reaches 165 degrees F when tested with an instant read meat thermometer.
- Serve with extra chimichurri sauce.