Here’s the thing, I am not the worlds biggest fan of mayonnaise base potato salad. Quite frankly, I typically hate it. The recipe I am about to give you, is one of the few mayo potato salads I actually like. Scratch that… I totally loooove this one!
Mayo potato salad, or how we call it, maionese de batata, is one of the dishes you will certainly find at a Brazilian barbecue party. It is a must side dish, alongside rice, molho a campanha (Brazilian Salsa), farofa, and of course, all things grilled.
So… What’s Special About This Mayo Potato Salad?
Carrots, meus amigos.
Carrots have always been an inevitable ingredient in all potato salads I’ve had growing up in Brazil. The simplest version has just potatoes, carrots, mayo and some salt and pepper. Sometimes we get sassy and also add chopped olives, shaved onions, some peas, parsley… All variations are seriously soooooo good!!!!!
On your next bbq party, make sure to try this delicious Maionese de Batata. Take a picture and share with me on Instagram by tagging me or using #cookingwithaline I want to see your beautiful dish!!
By the way… the recipe for this mouth watering chicken you see in the pictures below is here! Try that too and let me know how you liked it!
Mayo Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs of yellow potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1/2 c mayonnaise or more if you like it creamier
- 1/2 c of chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the diced potatoes and carrots in a medium to large pan; add enough cold water to cover the potatoes and carrots and place over medium heat and bring to gentle a boil
- Cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender, but still firm and holding their shape
- When they are cooked, remove the pan from the heat and drain the hot water
- Place the cooked carrots and potatoes in a strainer, and run some cold water to stop the cooking process and avoid the potatoes to overcook with the residual heat
- When the carrots and potatoes are cool to touch, stop the water and let them sit for a few minutes in the strainer to drain
- Add the cooled potatoes to a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, and mix in the mayonnaise and the chopped parsley
- Cover and refrigerate a few hours before serving