These Honey BBQ Chicken Wings are marinated in sweet orange juice, grilled to perfection in the barbecue, then served with a quick to prepare honey almond sauce. You can also cook them in the oven, but to me, there’s nothing quite like barbecued wings!
Why I love these Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
Every summer, I literally overload on bbq chicken wings. Yes, baking chicken wings is a great idea, and they come out great, but I have a strong preference to barbecued wings, especially if they’re barbecued with charcoal. It’s a childhood thing, I guess. My dad would always throw some wings on the barbecue while he made churrasco on sundays.
My dad always puts the wings on these double prongs bbq skewers, so I do that too. This is not a requirement at all, but I do find it much easier to flip them in only a few turns, rather than flipping them one by one.
TIP: I cover the little wooden parts at the bottom of the skewers with foil, to make sure the wood doesn’t burn.
Let the wings cook halfway through, then move them around the grill to make sure they get evenly crispy skins!!!
After the wings are grilled, remove them from the skewers and put them in a bowl. Then toss them with some of the sauce, and serve!
We LOVE a sweet and savory combo, and these honey orange chicken wings are just that. You can grill them, or prepare them in the oven, which makes them perfect for any entertaining occasion.
Grab your friends, and crack your cold beers open because, seriously, what else do you drink when pounding yummy wings?
Other BBQ chicken wings recipes to try:
This easy chicken wings recipe goes great with…:
Other easy chicken wings recipes you’ll love
Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
For the Marinade:
- 3 lbs of chicken wings
- 1 Tbsp of salt
- Pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 orange about 1/2 of a cup
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- zest of 1 orange
- Coarse salt for grilling (optional)
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 c of olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp of honey
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 c cilantro leaves finely minced
- 1/2 c almonds finely chopped
- Season the wings with salt and pepper, and let them sit for 10-15 mins
- Mix in the olive oil, garlic, and orange juice
- Add the wings and the marinade to a ziplock bag, and let it marinade in the fridge for at least 30 mins
- While the chicken is marinating, make the sauce
- Add orange zest, orange juice, olive oil, salt, honey, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, cilantro, and almonds to a blender and pulse a few times (just enough to crack the almonds, and roughly chop the cilantro) to mix all the ingredients. Transfer to a container, and let it sit room temp.
- When the chicken is done marinating, heat up the grill to medium heat, or preheat your oven to 350F
- Pat the wings dry with a paper towel, and add some coarse salt
- Throw the wings on the hot grill (or put them in a baking sheet for baking)
- Grill or bake until the wings are starting to get crispy – about 15 mins in, depending on your grill, and about 25 mins if you're using the oven. Then, flip them to let them finish cooking on the other side – another 15 or so minutes on the grill and 10-15 mins in the oven.
- When the wings are cooked and crispy, remove them from the grill or oven and place them in a large bowl, while still hot. Pour as much of the sauce over the wings as you'd like and toss to coat.