This skillet shrimp recipe is full of incredible flavors. It features plump juicy shrimp, ham, bell peppers and lotsa garlic, in an easy buttery wine sauce. It’s perfect over white rice, grits, pasta or my favorite, mashed yuca!
Why I love this Skillet Shrimp Recipe
Buttery wine sauces have been a weakness of mine since culinary school, and for obvious reasons – they are so delicious! They’re perfect in everything, especially seafood.
This skillet shrimp recipe is full of great flavors and it’s pretty straight forward to make. I love the extra yum from the green bell peppers, and the saltiness and extra bite from the ham. They’re subtle pops of flavor that don’t fight the delicate flavor of the shrimp.
And that classic white wine deglaze makes everything come together so nicely.
You can even add in a little hot sauce to the mix, if that’s your thing!
The sauce in this skillet shrimp is perfect to pour over some grits, pasta, zoodles, rice, or my ultimate favorite – mashed yuca!
Anyway, this skillet shrimp is delicious however which way you choose to pair it with!
How to Make Skillet Shrimp
This recipe starts like many other majestic recipes… by melting some butter! Heyaaaa!!
Then, all you have to do is sauté the onions in there, brown the ham, cook the garlic, and the bell pepper. By the way, this right there is one of my favorite smells in the world!
Throw some more butter in the pan and add the shrimp. Give it a little stir…
Then make a little creamy sauce with wine, the stock, and obviously more butter.
Shrimp and Grits… I mean, Yuca Purée
I hope you’re feeling adventurous and excited to try this shrimp recipe over my creamy yuca purée. It is seriously worth it.
For the Shrimp Marinade:
- 1 lb of shrimp peeled, deveined
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 4 Tbsp of butter
- ½ onion diced
- ½ cup of uncured ham diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ cup white whine
- ½ cup of chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- About 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- Season the shrimp with a little salt, then combine all the ingredients of the marinade in a medium bowl. Set aside for about 10 mins.
- In a large skillet, melt a tbsp of butter, over medium to high heat.
- Add the onion, and cook until transparent, about 2 mins.
- Add the ham, and cook until it begins to brown, about 4-5 mins.
- Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about a minute or 2.
- Add the bell pepper, cook for another 2 mins.
- Make some room in the middle of the skillet, and add another tbsp of butter. To that, add the shrimp and cook for about 2 mins, stir.
- Add the wine and cook until reduced, about 2 mins.
- Add the sriracha, season with salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Add the stock and let it reduce a little, 2 mins.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of the butter, and stir.
- Turn off the heat, and add one tbsp of the chopped parsley.
- Use the remaining parsley to garnish.
Leave a Reply