Get your instant pot ready! This super easy meatless Black Beans recipe is coming into your life to stay and become your new go-to beans recipe. It’s loaded with all the delicious flavors of my meaty Brazilian Black Beans, with no meat and a lot less fat. So, it’s also skinnier!
A lot of you were asking for a vegan version of my Brazilian Black Beans recipe to serve to your vegan friends, or to have a less fatty version you could eat daily with less guilt.
So, I created this vegan version we call “skinny”. It has all the flavor but a lot less fat, since I skip the bacon and the sausage. It’s seriously all you ever needed to get several meals worth of delicious vegetable protein.
This vegan Black Beans recipe will be a game changer for you and your familia. You can serve it white rice, brown rice, collard greens, add to veggie bowls, tacos, burritos… whew! Seriously, anything!
When you make it, take a picture and share with me on Instagram by tagging me or using #cookingwithaline let me know how you are eating your Vegan Black Beans!
Vegan Black Beans Recipe Step by Step
First up you need to pick and soak the beans, and if you’re not really familiar with the steps check out my Brazilian Black Beans Recipe post, where I explain in detail.
After the second soak, strain the water, and add the beans to the instant pot along with the chiles and the bay leaves.
Add the water, close and cook on manual for about 30 mins.
While the beans are cooking, heat the olive oil and sauté your favorite thing in the whole world… the Brazilian Sofrito!
Just pour that into the pot of cooked beans along with the spices and dinner’s ready! Serve it with some rice, and some farofa!
Give it a try and let me know what you think! Take a picture of your Vegan Black Beans and share with me on Instagram by tagging me or using #cookingwithaline
Vegan Black Beans
- 16 oz dry Black Beans
- 2 whole smoky chiles chipotle
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of Brazilian Sofrito or 1/2 onion diced, plus 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Pick, wash, then soak the beans in cold water for 30 mins.
- Change the water, and soak in cold water for another 30 mins.
- Drain beans, then add them an instant pot, or pressure cooker. Add the chiles, the bay leaves, and the 5 cups of water.
- Close the instant pot, and cook on manual for 30 mins.
- While the beans are cooking, heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium to high heat. Add the Brazilian Sofrito and sauté until golden, about 2 minutes.
- After 30 mins, safely release the pressure and open the pan. Change the now open/uncovered instant pot settings to sauté mode and pour the sautéed Brazilian Sofrito, the cumin, the vinegar, and salt and pepper.
- Cook on sauté mode uncovered for 10-15, stirring occasionally.