My family calls this Easy Spice Cake Recipe “magic cake”! And it’s so true, you guys, this cake is so good, it’s magic. It’s like a gift made of brown sugar and spices. And when I say spices, I mean it! You’ll love how bold this spicy cake is!! Not only that, this pretty bundt spice cake will get your house smelling oh-so-gorgeous, you’ll never want to leave! Perfect for a Fall family brunch, tea/coffee time, or to end a special holiday meal.
Why I love this Easy Spice Cake Recipe
This bolo de especiarias spice cake has been at the top of my family’s Holiday baking recipes for forever now. Whether we make it for a family brunch, or use it as a centerpiece dessert during seasonal special occasions, this homemade spice cake never disappoints.
I love it because it’s perfectly moist and fluffy, it perfumes the whole house with the best seasonal spice smells in the world, and it’s super easy to make. This moist spice cake is seriously a gift our family and close friends call “magic cake.”
Everyone loves it so much, I can sometimes even use it as currency. Every time I ask my best friend Angela and her husband for a favor, they say, sure, just make us a magic cake and we’re even! Their favorite way to enjoy the magic cake is topped with Brazilian chocolate ganache, brigadeiro, just like the one I used on the Nega Maluca cake.
I personally prefer this cake all by itself, dusted with just a little powdered sugar.
I also love to lightly toast any leftovers and spread a little salted butter on top to have with a nice cup of coffee (or bourbon… or both!!) It really is magic!
I hope you see, smell and taste all the magic in this delicious cake.
Spice Cake Ingredients
- vanilla extract
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- corn oil
What Spices are in spice cake
- ground cinnamon
- ginger powder
- ground nutmeg
- ground cloves
Brazilian Kitchen Abroad is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
How to make spice cake
Preheat your oven & Prepare the pan: Anytime your baking a cake you’ll want to start by preheating your oven, so that by the time you’re done making the cake, the oven is nice and hot and ready to bake. Same goes for prepping the pan. You need to have the pan greased and floured before the batter is ready, so that your cake batter doesn’t sit there a few extra minutes with active baking powder, waiting for you to get the pan set up.
Combine the wet ingredients: Measure the oil and the milk, combine them and set aside.
Combine the dry ingredients: Add all dry ingredients, spices and all, in a big bowl, whisk everything to combine and set aside.
Mix the eggs and the sugar: Combine the eggs, the vanilla extract and the sugars, then mix until smooth.
Incorporate dry and wet ingredients into the batter: Incorporate the dry and wet ingredients, alternating them. Always start and end with the dry ingredients, alternating with 2 parts of liquid in between. So, start off by adding about a third of the dry mixture to the egg mixture, and mix to combine. Then, add half of the liquid, and mix, and repeat until everything has been incorporated.
Bake: Pour the batter into your prep’d bundt cake pan and bake until it’s done – about 35-40 mins, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out lightly crumbly to clean .
At this point your house should be smelling like pure magic!!!
Sprinkle a little powder sugar on top after the cake is completely cool, and there you go!
This spiced cake is great after:
Other easy bundt cake recipes:
Easy Spice Cake Recipe
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ginger powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup of corn oil
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease and flour a 9inch bundt cake pan
- Add all of the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, and all the spices) to a large bowl, whisk to combine and set aside
- In another smaller bowl, combine the oil and the milk, and set aside
- In another large bowl, combine the eggs, the vanilla extract, and the sugars. Mix using a hand mixer on medium to high speed, until frothy and elastic
- Then, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients mixture to the eggs mixture, and mix on low to medium to combine. Add half of the liquid ingredients, and mix on low to medium to combine. Add the second third of the dry ingredients, and mix on low to medium to combine. Add the last of the liquid, and mix on low to medium to combine. Add the last third of the dry ingredients, and mix on low to medium to combine.
- Pour the batter into the greased bundt pan, and bake bake until a cake tester/toothpick inserted to the middle comes out lightly crumbly to clean (about 35-40 mins)
- Move the cake pan to a cooling rack and let it cool for about 10 mins, then remove the cake from the pan and let it cool on the rack
- When the cake is completely cool, dust it with a little powder sugar if you'd like, and trasfer to serving plate