Arugula Quinoa Salad
This arugula quinoa salad recipe is easy to make and bursts with delicious tangy flavors from olives and hearts of palm. It's a filling salad that's great to make-ahead for the week, and is also perfect as a side dish at a get-together. And the best part? This vibrant salad comes together in less than 30 minutes!
Servings: 6 servings
For the Salad:
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (from 1 cup of uncooked) Any type of quinoa works, tricolor, red, or white!
- 1.5 cups vegan black beans or a 15oz can, drained
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1.5 cups of grated carrots about 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, minced
- 1 14oz can of hearts of palm sliced
- 3-5 oz Arugula* see make ahead note below
For the Dressing:
- 1 tsp of Brazilian sofrito or 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- a pinch of cumin about 1/8 of a tsp
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste Please note that some brands of canned beans, hearts of palm and olives are already salted. Make sure to taste as you go to avoid adding too much salt.
Make the dressing:
In a small mason jar, combine the garlic, the olive oil, the vinegar, the parsley, spices and salt and pepper. Cover and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds. Set aside.
Make the salad:
In a large bowl, mix in the quinoa (even better if it's still warm!), the black beans, the diced red onion, the shaved carrots, and the minced olives, and stir to combine.
Add in the dressing, and the hearts of palm, and toss gently to combine.
Finally toss in the arugula and serve immediately! *See make ahead/meal prep note in the notes section below.
Make ahead/Meal prep note:
To make ahead, mix all the ingredients, except for the arugula. Keep the quinoa mixture in a Tupperware in the refrigerator, and only mix in the arugula when it's time to serve!