This one pot pineapple rice recipe is so good and is quick and easy. It’s a great side dish for grilled chicken or shrimp, but you may catch yourself eating it straight out of the pot, with nothing else! It’s that great! This easy pineapple rice is perfect for any summer occasion, from weeknight dinners to a tropical barbecue festa!
Why I love this pineapple rice recipe
It’s sweet and savory, and its fresh tropical flavors make it a wonderful side dish for all things grilled, just as much as it’s delicious all on its own. It’s a fantastic treat in any potluck or picnic event.
I love rice as it is, and this recipe just takes plain rice to a whole other level. This recipe calls for a whole juicy pineapple, but unlike Hawaiian or Thai pineapple recipes, it uses no coconut or coconut cream. I just add some raisins for extra punch and sweetness, and almonds for that extra crunch. It’s seriously awesome!
How to make pineapple rice
Step 1 – Prepare the pineapple: Peel and core a fresh pineapple, and reserve all the juices from your cutting board – we need all of that juice to make this rice recipe super delicious!
Step 2 – Layer flavors and spices: We use coconut oil to sautee our aromatics, like onion and garlic, to give us a little extra sweetness. Add in the rice, the salt and the cumin, then cover with water.
Step 3 – Cook the rice: Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to low heat. Let it simmer until rice is tender.
Step 4 – Add texture: When rice is cooked, add the pineapple juice, the pineapple, raisins and almonds (do not stir), cover and leave it covered for about 10 mins.
Step 5 – Finish with herbs: After 10 minutes, add the cilantro and stir to combine.
This simple and delicious pineapple rice bowl will be the star of your picnics, barbecues, potlucks and outdoor festas.
Happy Summer, meus amigos!!!!
Other Brazilian Rice Recipes:
- Traditional Brazilian White Rice
- Brazilian Holiday Rice
- Canja de Galinha – Brazilian Chicken and Rice Soup
More pineapple recipe ideas:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 pineapple peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 tablespoon of pineapple juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1/2 cup of cilantro roughly copped
- 1/2 cup of almonds roughly copped
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- heat the coconut oil in a medium size pan, over medium heat
- add the onions and cook them until they are transparent, about 2 mins
- add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 mins
- add the rice, and stir
- add salt, cumin and stir
- add the water and bring to a boil
- when the water is boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and cook util rice is tender
- when the rice is cooked, add the pineapple juice, the pineapple, almonds and raisins (do not stir), cover and leave it covered for about 10 mins
- after 10 mins, add the cilantro and stir to combine
I’ve been on the search for a recipe like this! It’s been hot in California, so this is the kind of recipe I can totally get behind. It’ll remind me I am on a tropical island instead of sweating at home. haha.
haha! Exactly!!! Glad you like it xx
Your dish looks so flavorful! This is a recipe that I’ll definitely try and take to my next cookout or potluck. People won’t expect something as refreshing as this. I also love your idea of serving the rice in a pineapple half!
Yes – this is a great cookout recipe since it’s easy and delicious!!
I’ve been wanting to eat pineapple fried rice for the longest!
One-pot meals are my favorite. Adding this one to my rotation!
Yes!! One pot is where it’s at!! Glad you like the recipe! xx
This rice looks so appetizing and delicious… and the ingredients are so easy to find!
Easy and delicious – what could be better than this!!!? 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!