Cilantro chimichurri is a simple sauce that has about a million uses! This easy to make sauce can be used as salad dressing, dipping sauce for your grilled meats and veggies, as a marinade, and the list goes on. No matter how you choose to use it, this simple chimichurri sauce with cilantro will add a major boost of flavor to all your dishes.
Where is chimichurri from?
You know all good Brazilian steak houses everywhere serve a good chimichurri, but this sauce is not Brazilian. Chimichurri is from Argentina, where they also make a mean churrasco!
And to that point, I must admit, my family was never really big on chimichurri. Not because we didn’t like it, but because it truly wasn’t a thing for us. When I was growing up in Rio, our sauce of choice for our churrascos was always the Brazilian salsa molho a campanha, NEVER anything else. Ne-ver!
But it’s true, chimichurri is a classic sauce in the grilling world and now that I’ve finally came to know it, it’s very much part of my day to day too. Make your batch today, amigos. You won’t regret it!
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
About this cilantro chimichurri sauce recipe
There are a number of ways to prepare chimichurri sauce. And since my love for cilantro runs deep, it’s only natural this is my favorite version. But, authentic chimichurri has no cilantro in it. The authentic chimichurri recipe is prepared with fresh parsley, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar, with variations that also include spices, herbs and pepper flakes.
This cilantro chimichurri sauce recipe is not really authentic, however, it’s a very delicious variation. To make it, I replaced the parsley with all the cilantro and added a red onion to double up on aromatics with the garlic. Then, I threw some dried oregano, red pepper flakes, olive oil, red wine vinegar. After that it’s just buzz, buzz, buzz in the food processor to make it easy peasy, then you’re done!
The beauty of any chimichurri sauce is all the flavor it’s packed with, especially as time goes by. I like to prepare my batch the day before, so I know all the flavors will be bright and bold by the time I need it. If you don’t have that kind of time, make sure to prepare your batch at least 20 minutes before you intend to use it. This will give your chimichurri some time to release on all the flavors!
How to use chimichurri
This cilantro chimichurri recipe, like any other, is very versatile and can be used a number of different ways. My absolute favorite way to enjoy it is as a cilantro steak sauce, but there are many delicious ways to use chimichurri, for example:
- The classic Chimichurri Sauce – great to serve with grilled meats and veggies
- Chimichurri Marinade – great for marinading chicken, fish, and steaks before cooking
- Chimichurri Salad Dressing – an excellent way to add flavor and spice to any kind of salad
- And of course, Chimichurri Spread – mix your chimi with a little mayo or sour cream to add flavor to wraps and sandwiches
I can’t wait to hear how you’ll be using your chimi!! Let me know in the comments!
Other common questions:
You can keep fresh chimichurri in the refrigerator for about a week, and the longer it sits, the stronger the flavor! You can freeze your chimi up to a month without loosing much flavor.
Yes! But, make sure to take your chimi out of the fridge 10-15 minutes before you want to use it.
More cilantro chimichurri sauce recipes you’ll love:
This cilantro chimichurri sauce pairs great with:
- Brazilian Rice
- Farofa – Brazilian Toasted Cassava Flour
- Picanha – Brazilian Culotte Steaks
- Grilled Butterflied Chicken
Cilantro Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
- about a cup of fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1/2 red onion peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender, or food processor, add the cilantro, garlic, onion, pepper, oregano, vinegar, and 1/2 of the olive oil
- Pulse uto mince the ingredients
- Add the remaining olive oil and gently stir to combine
- Tranfer the sauce to a mason jar and let it sit 20 minutes at at room temp before serving