Whether you’re getting ready to throw a party or want to make sure you can whip up margaritas quickly whenever you need them, a solid homemade Margarita Mix recipe is a great thing to have in your back pocket. Made with just 3 ingredients, this mix is the best and waaaaaaaay better than the store bought mixes!
Try my favorite Margarita Recipes: Margarita Pitcher – Classic Margarita Recipe, Passion Fruit Margarita Recipe, Coconut Margarita!
I can safely say I love margaritas so incredibly much and that I’ve been exposed to THE best ones throughout my years in California and Texas.
While they’re not hard to make, sometimes, you just have to have one fast. So, all that squeezing and measuring can get in the way…
That’s where this homemade margarita mix comes in.
It’s the perfect thing to have in your fridge at all times, but especially during the summer, so you can always mix a margarita fast! Just add the booze and ice… and you’re set.
Not only that, this mix is easy to double, triple and quadruple!
If you’re planning a party, this is the trick: make a batch of mix, and just add tequila when it’s time to serve… make pitchers, punch bowls, etc., so your guests can enjoy amazing homemade margaritas – and no one needs to stop the fun for extra squeezing!
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do!
Ingredients and tools:
Brazilian Kitchen Abroad is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Fresh limes — you’re going to need several (probably 8-10, depending on their size) to get the amount of lime juice we need for this recipe.
- Agave syrup — while some margarita mixes use simple syrup to sweeten them, I really like agave syrup. You should be able to find it with other syrup sweeteners at the grocery story.
- Kosher salt — you just need a pinch to help balance and add a little mineral oomph to the drink.
*full recipe with measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You’ll also need:
A note on juicing limes: When you juice limes, you’re also getting some delicious limey oils from the skin released into the juice. When you use a squeezer, you get most of the juices out, but if you are too rough in this process, you can also get some extra bitterness squeezed into your juice. Squeeze just enough and you’ll be fine!
How to make Margarita Mix
Squeeze limes until you have one cup of fresh juice. This could take between 8-10 limes, depending on the size and how juicy they are. On average, a lime has about 2 tablespoons of juice.
Add a pinch of salt.
Next, pour in the agave and stir vigorously until the margarita mixer has come together.
How to store:
Transfer to an airtight storage container, and place in the fridge. It should last about two weeks in there.
You can also freeze the margarita mix in cube form and defrost in the fridge when you want to make a margarita – just make sure you measure how much you’ll need to defrost to make one drink vs a whole pitcher.
These cubes should last about 3 months in the freezer.
How to serve:
Salt your glasses, if desired. Then, fill the glasses with ice allllll the way up to the top.
Measure the margarita mix, tequila and triple sec into a cocktail glass. Add ice, and stir vigorously until cold. See details in the recipe card below.
Pour the mixture into the prepared glass(es), and enjoy immediately!
Please note that this margarita recipe is on the strong side. If you’d like it more mellow, add some ice to a cocktail shaker, and shake to let it combine more with the ingredients and dissolve a little to help balance out the drink for you.
Other tropical cocktail recipes you’ll love:
- Batida de Maracuja – Passion Fruit Cocktail with Vodka
- Caipirinha de Maracuja – Brazilian Passion Fruit Cocktail
- Batida de Coco – Brazilian Coconut Cocktail
- Guava Mojito
- Coconut Margarita
FOR MORE BRAZILIAN FOOD INSPO, BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON
Homemade Margarita Mix
- 1 cup lime juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons of agave more or less to taste
- pinch of salt
- Juice the limes with a citrus juicer until you have a cup of juice.
- Combine the lime juice, the agave syrup and the salt into a large liquid measuring cup or jar.
- Stir to combine.
- Store in the refrigerator until you're ready to make margaritas.
To Make a 4 Drink Pitcher:
- Add all of the margarita mix to a pitcher with just a little ice – about 1/2 cup give or take.
- Measure in 1 cup of tequila and 1/2 cup of triple sec to the margarita mix. Stir vigorously to combine and dissolve some of the ice.*
- Salt 4 glasses, if desired. Then, fill each glass with ice all the way up to the top.
- Serve and enjoy!
To Make a Single Margarita:
- Add 1/4 cup of margarita mix to a jar or cocktail glass with 2-3 ice cubes.
- Next, add in 1/4 cup of tequila and 2 tablespoons of triple sec and stir vigorously to combine and dissolve some of the ice.*
- Salt a glass, if desired. Then, fill the glass with ice all the way up to the top.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply