Margaritas are a great tropical cocktail, and this Fresh Passion Fruit Margarita recipe is a delicious version that’s easy to whip up any day of the week. Made with simple ingredients, this colorful cocktail tastes like a vacation in a glass! Recipe makes about 2, but is easily doubled, tripled and quadrupled to serve a crowd.
Try my other margarita recipes! Margarita Pitcher – Classic Margarita Recipe, Coconut Margarita, Homemade margarita Mix.
If you know anything about me or have spent any amount of time on my site, you might know that I’m very much into passion fruit and all kinds of recipes featuring it.
Passion Fruit Mousse, How to Make Passion Fruit Juice, Batida de Maracujá – Passion Fruit Cocktail with Vodka, Caipirinha de Maracujá – Brazilian Passion Fruit Cocktail, How to Make Passion Fruit Puree are just a few of them!
And since I’ve lived many years in California and Texas, I’ve drank some EXCELLENT margaritas over the years and can whip some pretty amazing ones.
Here are a few margaritas recipes you can also try: Margarita Pitcher – Classic Margarita Recipe, Coconut Margarita and Homemade Margarita Mix.
Why I love this recipe:
Well, this recipe combines two of these favorite things of mine into one… Passion Fruit Margaritas!
I played around with these flavors for a while, and I’ve come to my favorite rendition of it, which I’m sharing with you here today.
The combination of the smoky mezcal with the sweet tartness of the passion fruit is excellent, and when you add the spicy Tajin rim? SO GOOD.
This is one of the best cocktail recipes for summertime, and frankly, anytime!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Other Cocktail Recipes You’ll Love: Batida de Coco – Brazilian Coconut Cocktail | Guava Mojito | Leftover Cranberry Sauce Cocktail | How to Make Caipirinha | Pineapple Rum Punch Recipe
Ingredients and Tools
Brazilian Kitchen Abroad is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Unsweetened Passion Fruit Puree — also known as passion fruit pulp. This is easy to make from fresh fruit, and I have instructions on how to do that here. To make about a half a cup of puree, you’ll need about 3-4 (or maybe a couple more) small purple passion fruits or about one half of a large yellow one. You can also purchase the pulp frozen at your local Target, Walmart or grocery store. It’s hit or miss, depending on where you live, but you can also try Latin markets and your local Brazilian market, too. You can also use passion fruit concentrate, so long as the ingredients list passion fruit only (no sugars, no nothing else), and you can find that easily online!
- Lime juice — freshly squeezed is best. Limes tend to have about 2 tablespoons of juice in them, so you’ll need 2-3 to make this margarita recipe.
- Mezcal — mezcal is a type of tequila, and it has a wonderful smoky quality. There is no replacement, and I really like it paired with the passion fruit here.
- Tequila — also known as tequila blanco. It is the clear kind.
- Triple sec — or another orange liqueur you have on hand, like Grand Marnier or Cointreau.
- Agave nectar — this is our sweetener.
- Kosher salt — we need a pinch for the margarita mix to balance it out, as well as add some mineral oomph to the drink.
- Tajin — we’ll need this spice blend to rim our glasses. It adds a little heat and combined with all other flavors, it makes the passion fruit margaritas even more special.
You’ll also need:
- Citrus juicer
- Mesh strainer
- Liquid measuring cup
- Cocktail shaker or large mason jar
- Pitcher or another container to hold your margaritas
- Ice cube maker — you can go with regular ice, or make it cute with these tiny ones I like.
How to make Passion Fruit Margaritas
Get juicin’. If you haven’t already, juice your limes and extract the puree from your passion fruits. (Check out How to Make Passion Fruit Puree post if you are making your own and need extra tips!)
A note on juicing limes: When you juice limes, you’re also getting some delicious limey oils from the skin released into the juice. When you use a squeezer, you get most of the juices out, but if you are too rough in this process, you can also get some extra bitterness squeezed into your juice. Squeeze just enough and you’ll be fine!
Combine the passion fruit puree and lime juice in a large mason jar or another vessel that can be sealed to shake the ingredients together.
Pour in the mezcal, tequila and triple sec.
Add a pinch of salt. Measure in the agave, too.
Drop in a few ice cubes.
Seal the jar, and shake shake shake…
How to rim a glass with tajin:
Slice a lime into quarters.
Take a wedge of the lime and gently run it along the rim of the glass you intend to drink your passion fruit margarita from.
Measure some Tajin into a small plate and gently place the lime juice-coated glass in it. Dip the rim in the Tajin and move it around gently until it coats the rim.
How to serve passion fruit margaritas:
After you’ve rimmed your glasses, fill them with ice. (Crushed ice is my go-to for a drink like this, but any ice works!)
Carefully pour the margaritas into the prepared glasses.
Garnish with lime wheels or wedges. You could also garnish them with dehydrated limes, as shown in these photos.
Quick tips and tricks to the best homemade margaritas:
- Double, triple or quadruple this recipe for a crowd. The overall ratios are easily multiplied.
- Make your own passion fruit puree! It’s excellent and so simple to make with fresh passion fruit.
- Be gentle while juicing the limes. The lime oil from the skins of the citrus can add some bitterness to the juice, so don’t squeeze them too hard.
- Make it early, and keep it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks! Just don’t add ice until you’re ready to serve so the margaritas are not watered down.
Other margarita recipes to try:
FOR MORE BRAZILIAN FOOD INSPO, BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON
Passion Fruit Margaritas
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened passion fruit pulp also known as passion fruit puree
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1/4 cup of tequila
- 3/4 cup of mezcal
- 1/2 cup of triple sec
- 2 tablespoons of agave more or less to taste
- pinch of salt
- Tajin optional
- In a large mason jar (or a large cocktail shaker), combine the unsweetened passion fruit pulp and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Measure in the tequila, the mezcal and the triple sec.
- Add the pinch of salt and the agave syrup.
- Plop in some ice cubes, close the jar and give it some good shakes until ice cold.
- Rim glasses with Tajin, if desired.
- Fill glasses with ice, pour in the margarita and enjoy immediately.
Leave a Reply