This warm kale apple salad is one of my favorite dishes in the Fall. Scratch that – all year long! It’s great on its own, and even better as a side dish.
I love to serve it with some salmon or rotisserie chicken. Sometimes, if we have leftovers, we warm it up, fry a couple eggs and serve it with crusty bread and fresh coffee. It’s a perfect little brunch!
Warm Kale Apple Salad Recipe Step by Step
So, I’m using kale here, but you could also use collard greens as well. That’s great too!
Let’s begin by cutting the kale into thin strips.
Then, core the fennel and slice it thin.
Slice the onion.
And then the apple.
Now you are all prepped!
Heat some olive oil in a medium skillet over medium to high heat and when when the oil is hot, add the onions.
Then, add the fennel, give it a stir and let it cook until the fennel is soft.
Add the apples and toss gently.
Reduce the heat, add the kale, season with salt and pepper and toss.
Sprinkle the nuts on top and serve on its own, or as s side dish!
I love it with salmon or with rotisserie chicken. So good!
Share your pics #CookingWithAline
Kale Apple Salad
- 1 bunch of Kale cut into thin strips
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 1 fuji apple cored and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of toasted walnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- add the oil to a medium skillet over medium to high heat
- add the onions and cook until they are translucid, about 2 minutes
- add the fennel, and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes
- add the apples and toss gently, let it cook a few minutes tossing occasionally
- reduce the heat, add the kale, salt and pepper, toss gently and let it cook until the kale has wilted a little, about 1-2 minutes
- sprinkle with the nuts